Monday, October 29, 2007

Hokey Pokey


Today I made Hokey Pokey! I was watching my number one food idol, Nigella Lawson, and she was whipping up a collection of fast eats. Since I had 10 minutes to spare, I decided to give hokey pokey a try -- a honey comb candy that is like sponge candy or the inside of a Crunchie Bar. Mine turned out not bad at all -- very tasty and sticks to your teeth! The problem I had was that the top was very sticky. How can I stack pieces in a container if they stick? I may have used too much syrup, and perhaps spreading it out was not a good idea. You should just plop it on parchment and let it be. I will try again next time, and will cover it in chocolate. I want to make the next batch drier and less sticky. Either way, it is a fun thing to make!


Hokey Pokey, Foodnetwork
1/2 cup sugar
4 tablespoons dark corn syrup
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Put the sugar and syrup into a saucepan and stir together to mix. You can't stir once the pan's on the heat, though.

Place the pan on the heat and let the mixture first melt and then turn to goo and then a bubbling mass the color of maple syrup - this will take 3 minutes or so.

Off the heat, whisk in the baking soda and watch the syrup turn into a whooshing cloud of aerated pale gold. Turn this immediately onto a piece of baking parchment or greased foil.

Leave until set and then bash at it, so that it splinters into many glinting pieces.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Renia. It's hard to visit your blog when you need to lose weight! Love your pictures. I'll be trying some of your recipes. Lisa

    ReplyDelete