Friday, October 19, 2007
Beef and Bean Burritos
I am not one to claim that I know what an authentic burrito tastes like. All I can says is that my recipe is pretty damn good! I haven’t made these in a while, and they were well worth the wait!
1. In a skillet sauté some finely chopped medium onion and a red pepper in some olive oil.
2. To the pan add some ground beef and brown it. When it is nice and browned, drain the excess grease from the pan.
3. Create a spice mixture of salt, pepper, garlic, cumin and chili powder. Add this to one cup of water and then add this mix to the pan. (You can also use Taco Seasoning).
4. Make sure to stir the pan once and a while.
5. Add 4 chopped small tomatoes and a can of red kidney beans which have been drained.
6. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
Once the filling is done it’s time to roll the burritos! Set up accordingly:
1. Take a larger tortilla, add a couple tablespoons of shredded nacho cheese, and 2 table spoons of salsa.
2. Add a generous helping of the hamburger mix…but don’t go overboard!
3. Roll up the burrito – fold the 2 sides, then the end facing you, and then roll!
4. Place seam down on a cookie sheet.
5. Top each burrito with some taco sauce and nacho cheese.
6. Pop in the oven for 30mins, at 375 degrees.
I never made these with beans before, but they sure turned out great! Server with a salad or some rice and you are all set. I also do a chicken version with corn – also awesome!